Thught Bubble Thursday

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Love, Bless, Do Good, and Pray....for Them?

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I was thinking about what happened on September 11, 2001. As I buttoned up my white shirt, tears began to well up in my eyes. I thought of the thousands who passed away that day, and the millions that were affected by those awful events. Then, I began thinking about the animosity, contention, and hatred that would lead to such horrific events.

I flashed back to a time when I was in Israel with my dear friend, Clark Anderson. We were searching for a meat market in the old city. We were lost and stopped to ask a man for directions. Initially, he was very friendly as he began to give directions in very broken English. Then he stopped, suddenly, and said, “You American?” We smiled and nodded—half expecting, I think, a high five or a ‘right on.” Instead, a disgusted look came to his face and he suddenly and hatefully said, “I kill your children! Go!” We stood stunned as he motioned for us to leave. I fought feelings of anger and pride as we walked away.

As I processed that experience, and as I stood pondered this morning, I was reminded of the words of our Savior, Jesus Christ. In Matthew 5:44, He taught:

“But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you”

It’s not easy living a higher law. In fact, at times it is downright difficult. But I know that the teachings of Jesus our true. I took comfort in his words this morning. Remembering them gave me strength. So, instead of being angry…I offered a silent prayer. I know He heard me, and I felt His comforting spirit.

I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and testify that it is true!

Love,
Brother McLay

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great insight, John. We cannot judge one another because we are unaware of each other's circumstances. We can only love our "brothers" as our Savior does, which is hard, but possible.