Tunes

Wednesday, September 10, 2008


Have you ever noticed the power that music has over you? I mean, have you ever really noticed? For several weeks, I've made the switch from a peppy mingling of pop, classical and other fantastic tunes to 24/7 church music.

It's the most incredible thing.

The change in music has actually changed me. My thoughts are different. They are turned more often toward God. My counteance is different. I look people in the eye more often. I listen. My schedule is different. It's easier to let go of the things that don't matter when the things that really matter are running through my headphones, and into my, well....head.

That said, there is an incredible resource for FREE LDS music downloads that you might just love. They are songs written by Sally DeFord, a talented musician from Colorado Springs. On her website, she publishes free sheet music and oodles of free recordings just because she's that kind of a saint. To boot, our good friend (and immense talent and ravishingly beautiful gem of a gal and great cook), Becki Madsen, has recorded many of the songs.

You can download the songs here. Don't miss these tracks:
  • The Angels Came to Sing, by Becki Madsen

  • Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, by Brady Lorenc or Heather Prusse

  • I Will Stand as A Witness of Christ, by Becki Madsen

  • If the Savior Stood Beside Me, by Becki Madsen

  • Let Virtue Garnish Thy Thoughts Unceasingly, by Becki Madsen

  • This Is How I Know, by Leilani Toloa Johnson

  • Whole Again, by Chad Neth (Seriously. Do NOT miss this one. It's AMAZING)
If you're looking for youth-oriented sheet music, the link is here. Sister DeFord has a lot of other music available on her site, as well. Just browse her site and be amazed. And...if you enjoy the site, you can contact her with a big THANK YOU through her website, too. She'd be delighted to hear from you.


Read All About It!

Click HERE to see some of Elder Packer's talk,
"Worthy Music, Worthy Thoughts"
New Era, Apr 2008, 6–11

2 comments:

Jonathan Mahoney said...

Thanks for this selection! I've seen the sight before and even sang a solo of The Greatest Among Us, but I never went through any of the other songs because I just didn't know where to begin. Now I do and I'll probably dig a little deeper. :-P

Great music.

Love,
Jon

Bob said...

Thanks for these. I'm looking forward to putting them on my iPod.

Speaking of which, before I went to EFY this year, I put a TON of church music on the iPod to listen to while there. I still have it on there, and it's a fun reminder to stay steady and sure when a church song pops up when on shuffle.